Friday, December 22, 2006

Three things and their lessons

Thing 1. I have a broken tooth that needs urgent attention. It's been broken for over a month now and it's beginning to hurt. It's going to cost me a lot of money. I consider it a lot since I expect to spend an amount roughly equalivent to zero on my health.

Lesson:
To chew food carefully and to take special care when dealing with tough bits of bacon. Oh but bacon, you hurt me so good.

Thing 2. I tore my left contact lens last night. It's a special one because it goes in the eye that has a scar on the cornea. A corneal ulcer developed in my left eye in 2005, leaving me with a scar right smack in the middle of the cornea. Therefore, everything that I see with my left eye comes with a fuzzy dreamlike appearance. The only way I can see clearly is if I get a corneal transplant, which carries a lot of risks. The replacement contact lens is going to cost me a lot of money.

Lessons:
a. Always take your time when putting in contacts.
b. The water in Boracay is swimming with all kinds of vicious organisms.

c. Do not swim with your contacts in.
d. If you insist on doing so, do not leave them in overnight.

Trust me on letter d, you do not want to get corneal ulcer. Without immediate treatment, it will make your cornea rupture until it eventually explodes. The treatment involves taking injections of special medication to your eyeball. I took two. It made my eye horror-film red for over a week.


Thing 3. I bought a little digital camera last night. She is called The Bitch. Yes, that is her common name. We have a loving relationship. She needs an SD card. I am getting one for her tomorrow in Quiapo. Why am I going to Quiapo in this season, you ask me? Because:

1GB SD card in Manila = 3,000
2GB SD card in Quiapo = 1,700

Lesson: If I am willing to go over the budget to get me a lovely little toy, then I am certainly not above trying to remedy the situation by doing something extremely stressful, possibly unproductive and totally asking for Murphy's Law to be all over it.

No comments: