Saturday, December 30, 2006

A fire drill

It happened yesterday afternoon and it was good, now I know where the exits are. Also, if a fire does break out, I know better than to stand around and wait for everybody else to make a move. It's best to be among the first ones out of there than exit with the crowd because it takes so long to get out. If panicked, it's easy to see how a slow orderly exit can turn into a bloody stampede. I realized why my officemates hesitated when they heard the alarms go off. We were all the way up on the 20th floor. Some wanted to stay behind, complaining about the disturbance, knowing it was only a drill. Curious, I joined the obedient sensible ones and descended twenty flights of stairs with people from the other floors. By level 12, my legs were shaking. Although it was no surprise, I was distraught to discover how much weaker and more out of shape than I had previously thought. When I reached ground level, my legs were a spasmodic mess and I fought to keep my knees from buckling.

The entire drill took a little over half an hour and my legs were still trembling by the time I got back to my desk. It gave me little comfort to know that everyone else had the same problem. I really should sort out this lack of exercise.

I've just rubbed ointment on the backs of my legs. They burn each time I flex them. Oh how they burn!

And I know it's off topic but Saddam Hussein has been executed.

1 comment:

Tess said...

LOL, I feel your pain - we had alarms go off twice in one day (not drills) and were on the 28th floor =P