Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Placing third and other accomplishments

Guess what? The results of that logo making contest I mentioned here came out this afternoon. I was on break and took too long, as per usual, so I wasn't able to join the scheduled GA. Well I forgot about it actually and was too embarrassed to follow because everyone would have known that I didn't return on time and then they'll start thinking I'm becoming more and more of a liability to the company and eventually I'll get fired, so when I got to my desk, I stayed put. What happens during the general assembly is that all the employees convene and listen dutifully as announcements are made about any upcoming important changes in the company. We have GAs once or twice a month. But every month there is a performance evaluation...and an awards segment sometimes follows the announcements. Basically the teams and individuals who have excelled in their work during the evaluation period (I think the period is 3 weeks long...but I'm prolly making it up) are recognized and receive a piece of paper that says how amazing they are. But more importantly, they get rewarded with money which gets added to their next paycheck. So yes, very exciting indeed. Anyway, everyone eventually returned to their desks and some of them made a point of coming over to congratulate me. I had absolutely no idea what they were referring to since I am but a lowly pseudo-translator and no one cares about any of the translators' individual performances. And although we do qualify for the team evaluation, I doubted very much that everyone decided to single me out for an award that was got as a result of team effort. Apparently, and here it comes, one of my entries got third place in the logo competition. Haha that was a riot! Everyone wanted to see what I had done but I didn't know which one had won and anyway the files are in my comp at home. I think my colleagues were more pleased about the fact that I'd started showing interest in office events and participating voluntarily. The winning entry isn't stellar work but it's definitely a couple of notches above clip art. Any 3 year old's scrawls would be infinitely more interesting than clip art. And while we're on the subject, whoever decided to call it art anyway? But aaanyway, it looks like someone's getting her sports bra wish. Hihihi.

In other news, I'm finally done with one of the designs I've been working on. Paula and I have been revising it for a month now. I think that she'll agree with me that we both feel extremely relieved to know that it's finally done and out of the way. I'm sure you're all galvanized with excitement to see it, so I shan't keep you in suspense any longer:


It's a really interesting event and if you can, do attend one or all of the screenings, as there will be a local music group/artist musical scoring throughout the screening. I would go myself, but I work till 9 pm and all the films start an hour earlier. I've only seen The Cabinet of Dr Caligari and I totally recommend it. Some of you might remember that Red Hot Chili Peppers came out with a music video for Other Side a while back...well the video makes you think that this film had an influence on its cinematography.

So go watch the films! They're screening them this August in SM Megamall, every Thursday (except the first one, meaning August 3 -- unless they do decide to hold a related event on this date...any updates, Paula?). Check it out on the GI Manila site: Silent Film Festival schedule

TBK
(The Brothers Karamazov) update: I'm in the middle of Book 3 of Part I. It's getting really juicy. Russian authors really know where it's at.

So yes, I'm feeling extremely pleased with today. And I'm home and in my bed, having the rest of my burger from this afternoon. With soggy fries. Yuuuuuummy!

1 comment:

undoy said...

shet! silent movies galore na naman! :D i did watch something last year... umm, i did watch Dr. Caligari and another one about a dystopic city, Metropolis was that, i think... :)