Friday, July 14, 2006

A little bit of patience.

I have never been patient and am too impatient to try to learn how to be. But I need to be. Now.

It is 2 am and I've been trying to send a design draft for about half an hour now. Who invented dial-up anyway? It's a big tease with no sign of release coming anytime soon. Actually the dsl people came by last week and everything's good but I haven't had time to get my dad to adjust my computer's settings and I've needed to work on designs anyway when he did have time. So I'm stuck with this slow ass bitch of a connection until it gets sorted out. Send dammit!


Well I may as well try to pass the time quickly. Oh come on it's less than 2 mb!

Right. Hmm I think I may be trying to do too many things and not allotting enough time for any of them. Well I am germanizing more now and I think it's helping. Haha we were reading about Little Red Riding Hood last Saturday, Rotkäppchen auf Deutsch, and it was so good.

What I love about languages is that while you're learning a different way of saying things, what actually happens is that you learn another way of seeing them and you begin to understand where some people are coming from and then you learn not to be so quick to judge. Hey it sent!!!

Anyway back to Rotkäppchen. In English, fairy tales end with "...and they lived happily ever after." while in German, they end with "...und wenn sie nicht gestorben sind, dann leben sie noch heute", and basically means "...and if they aren't dead, then they are still living now". Hehe isn't it so good? Because I'm not used to fairy tales ending like that (or because I suck at German), it took a couple of rereads for the hilarity of that sentence to hit me. It seems absurd to me and even a little bit morbid (I love it!) yet that's the way they've always been in that language and to the people who speak it and when you really think about it, and they lived happily ever after is actually quite creepy. I mean, they live forever. Are they not human? Morbid as it is in German, as least they acknowledge the characters' mortality.


Anyway that's just one example of the many differences (the similarities are just as lovely) between languages that I love to uncover. French is really something too. It expresses itself in a way that requires you to involve all your senses in order to understand it. You taste the words, you smell them, they touch you and your body grasps their meaning. All languages are unique and beautiful. Now the goal is to fit them all in my head and keep them there!

Woohoo! I only had to wait a little bit (= absolute ages) and I get to sleep now! Goodnight!

4 comments:

Paula said...

The early unedited unsanitized versions of the Grimm tales are awesome! They were never meant for kids; they're actually old German tales that the brothers collected from various villages in an attempt to get in touch with "true" German culture and traditions.

My favorite one is "Von dem Machandelboom" (The Juniper Tree). It's pretty grotesque, though.

chrismiss said...

I want to read them!

jax said...

me toooo me too!!!

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... »