Friday, January 12, 2007

Malaysia: A holiday destination part 5

So yes, indeedy, Malaysia is truly Asia, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad, as Asia is and should be. We arrived in KL late last night and this will be our last leg of the trip. Phew, finally! I'm sunburnt and so sick of walking, I'm absolutely exhausted! Hehe it was fun! Oh and if my calculations are correct, by the time I get back home, I would have spent exactly 446 US dollars. Including my shopping, token presents for friends, family and other people who expect something from me. Yes my friends, I am zee best.

Okay so Langkawi was definitely the most expensive part of our trip, mainly because there is no public transport there and the food was pretty pricey. But good! Sand so white and so fine, the water cool and refreshing, only downside was that it was jellyfish and cuttlefish season so loads of little jellyfish eggs were in the water and that made it both icky and itchy to be in the water. Beautiful beautiful place. I have vowed to return, I absolutely loved it there. KL is nice and a lot greener than Manila but it's like any other city really. We went up the Petronas Towers earlier and it was good and silly. Too bad it was overcast and foggy. We also went to Chinatown on Jalan Petaling (I think) and it seemed to me a combination of Greenhills and Divisoria. So many knock off Louis Vuitton bags and Gucci belts haha! Loads of white tourists bug-eyed with disbelief and awe. I could practically see the rapid currency conversion in their eyes. Cameron Highlands would have been amazing, if it weren't so damn cold. But I got to see how tea is grown (acres and acres of tea leaves!) and ate a lot of yummy food! Ipoh seemed like a wealthy place but it was scorching hot there and we spent all of our time in the car (like I mentioned earlier), so I wasn't able to appreciate it much. Penang was charming, dirty and busy and I swear we walked at least a hundred kilometers on that damn island, sightseeing and looking for a place to stay. We went to this pagoda and the experience was unusual. The buddhas had swastikas on their chests, so bizarre and the steps leading up to the temples were littered with vendors selling souvenirs and bottles of water. Very very odd.

Some Malaysians were very friendly, others were dismissive (we are goddamn tourists after all) and still others were downright rude. But all in all, I loved this trip. I am already planning my next trip. Cambodia? Laos? Vietnam? Oh the possibilities are endless!

Woohoo tomorrow is shopping day! Yay!

3 comments:

jax said...

i don't think they're nazi swastikas... didn't some ancient civilization (indochinese?) have that symbol, but with the legs going opposite direction? and the nazis just flipped it around to use as their own...

chrismiss said...

Really? I thought it looked backwards but that was such a shock when P and I saw them..

Tess said...

Yeah it's a reverse swastika and I think it represents God or something. I was confused too when I saw them in a Buddhist temple.