Friday, January 26, 2007

Breathe again (hehe)

I'm still alive. Apparently my heart is too relaxed. That's what Nurse G says (yes, I think it's a ridiculous thought too). We usually walk together after work to our respective stops and she's always brimming with remedies and diagnoses whenever something afflicts me. I don't like to bother her with my health problems when we're walking because, well, apart from the fact that I seem to have so many, it is after work hours and she may be sick (pardon the weak pun) of dealing with ailing employees. But she insists on knowing, so I tell her.

I have been walking two kilometers morning and night since and I find that I feel much better. Although I suspect it is the work of endorphins, I let myself relax (but not too much, of course). I checked my pulse prior to all this walking nonsense and my heartbeats were at 60 per minute, weak ones at that. Even though I don't know what 'weak' is, I was duly alarmed. It's better today though, I checked it again this morning and my heart gives me 70 stronger ones now. My lungs feel okay and my heart is more upbeat but now my hip is sore and I walk with a slight limp because I do not stretch. I can't win.

4 comments:

Paula said...

I thought 60 beats per minute for a resting pulse was normal?!? You definitely don't want it too high. More than 100 will give you health problems.

Other than smoking (after being around Malek for three months when he was still a heavy smoker, I definitely noticed having a harder time going up to the fifth floor of AS), you might have been breathing wrong. Weird, I know. My pilates instructor told me that people often breathe from their chest, which is wrong, cos your breath ends up too shallow and rapid. Try doing exercises where you breathe from your diaphragm. You'll see a huge difference.

Oh yeah, and sometimes taking a hot shower after the walking helps relieve the muscles.

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jax said...

so maybe you should stretch!!! didn't you take a stretching class in college? you should be a master stretcher by now. hey p, sounds like... sound advice! i may take it too...

chrismiss said...

HEY I DO BREATHE FROM THE CHEST! And I often take shallow breaths consciously because I don't want to breathe in the pollution. Yup Nurse G says 60 - 70 is normal but that my pulse was weak.

And yes I should stretch. But it's SO boring.