Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Hypochondria in overdrive

Help! I'm surrounded by disease. Several people have been sniffling and coughing all over the workplace, it's driving me insane. I don't know what to do. I hold my breath when I walk past someone who's being particularly gross but I can't keep holding my breath! They're everywhere. Coughing and coughing and clearing their throats wetly and sniffling and sneezing and releasing their germs out into the world. Ugh. Yes, I'm really particular about being around people who sound ill. I can't stand hearing wet sounding coughs and runny noses being blown. Why can't they just call in sick? They're contaminating the rest of us who aren't. Ugh. So inconsiderate. Maybe I should call in sick. I'm sick of this shit.

One of our officemates has been diagnosed with bronchial pneumonia. I overheard her talking about having come back from the doctor's. I'm a mild hypochondriac so I looked it up. It IS contagious. She's been coughing since last week and even lost her voice mid-week. She's up to a raggedy whisper now. I don't understand why she keeps talking. She sounds so ill. I'm really bothered. At first I was concerned about her health and kept telling her to take a few days off and get lots of rest and see the doctor. You know, all good advice. But she won't and I think I know why. She's one of those people who work their asses off waiting to be recognised for their hard work and getting praised for being such a wonderful worker and how they're such a credit to the company. Bullshit. She is NOT going to get a raise for this. Ugh I wish I could shake some sense into her but I'm afraid she'll cough germs in my face. I kept reminding her that should she be hospitalized, the company will only cover so much of her medical expenses. They don't care after they've fulfilled their obligation. It's a business not Red Cross. The sicker she gets and the longer she stays sick, the more expensive the treatment will get. Yet she won't take heed. Well I'm through telling her to go home. I'm so pissed off at her now for being an idiot about this. Doesn't she understand that no one cares if she keels over and dies? Everyone will say oh what a crying shame, she was such a sweet girl. But they'll eventually have someone clear the mess. The next day, someone will be sitting at her desk. Business as usual. She's being a moron. Ugh she should just go home. Last night, she had a coughing fit that lasted at least half an hour. It was nasty. I half-hoped she'd faint so they'd have to take her to the clinic or even better, the hospital, and keep her there until she's better.

3 comments:

Manila Girl said...

I hate it when people do that. It's like they're showing the office how much of a martyr they are when, in fact, they're just infecting the rest of the world. It's called presenteeism, btw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presenteeism

chrismiss said...

PRESENTEEISM!! ARGH!!!

jax said...

Yeah tell her to GO HOME!!! Tell her I SAID SO!!! Or at least wear a face mask. People here wear facemasks if they're sniffly or coughy. Nothin doin.