Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fake coins!

Unlike most of the nation, I am not in a cemetery lighting candles today. I went to work a little after lunch with a hangover headache. Anyway I only worked for 3 hours or something silly like that and I am back home now.

I'm a little late with this but I just found out today when one of my workmates showed me a couple of fake 10 peso coins. They look exactly like real ones and the only way of telling them apart is with the use of a magnet. I suppose any regular magnet will do, and I've decided to take one of the refrigerator magnets with me whenever I go out. Paranoid, right? Hell yeah. I don't even want to buy anything now and risk getting fake money in change. Anyway what you do is, you take your coin of questionable authenticity and then touch it with the magnet. If it sticks, then it's fake. Real ones don't get attracted to the magnet. Apparently there's a shitload of fake 5 and 10 peso coins floating around the country. And if you should be unfortunate enough to have fake coins on you, you have to surrender those to the proper authorities. I suppose going to a bank would be the thing to do. BSP's going to try to take all the phoney ones out of circulation. It's absolutely crazy, here are two links that have more to say about it.

The News Today article

PDI article

1 comment:

jax said...

yeah hey we got a circular concerning that, comparing real money characteristics with the counterfeit ones. they seemed to be pretty crap counterfeits considering the differences, but if you've just got them i suppose they'd be difficult to distinguish from the real ones.