Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Beach

I used to take trips to the beach all the time. I just realized that I haven't been to the beach at all this year. 2006 had me preoccupied with changing jobs and acquiring new skills.

But a plan was hatched last night in the office.

I am going to the beach.

I communicate with various people on text. They are going to the beach. I want to come. I decide to approach Whiny Boss and say I want to take a couple of days off in December. WB hesitates and I swear I see him wince at hearing "vacation leave". He checks the days on his desk calendar and looks at them intently. He is stalling. He is only pretending to think hard, I see right through him. In a manner than can only be described as frightened, he looks up and asks if I have pending files for translation. As brightly as I can muster I say, "Actually I finished the last file a few hours ago, I am just waiting for new files to come in". I watch him shrink into his plush armchair as he digests the disappointing news. Yes, I am on top of it bitch. He has no grounds to keep me at work. He picks up a clipboard with the holiday dates on it. Asks me to come in either on Christmas or New Year's Day. I shake my head no way. Those are family days, my man. He retreats slightly but then attacks again and places his finger on the 26th. Boxing Day. "What about on that day?" WB is also Sneaky Bastard. I'd like to box you, I think to myself, carefully maintaining my deferent stance. Aloud I say, "I'll see about that one sir, I might be able to come in for a couple of hours but I can't commit to that right now". He is still hesitating. He does not feel like he has won. Then he sits up straight. I think he has me. He ends our meeting by saying, "Let's make sure that there are no files pending next week. I can't make a decision now, ask me again next week".

I am going to the beach.

No comments: