Monday, November 27, 2006

Elevator stories #3: Elevator code of honor

From the moment that I board the elevator in our building, it takes me less than 10 seconds to get to my floor. In a matter of a few seconds, complete strangers are forced into a common (yet very unnatural) environment. They are suspended in time with nowhere else to go, temporarily trapped in a box with other strangers. I actually enjoy this little bit of time. While everyone is busy looking at their phones, checking their reflection in the mirror, gossiping with their companions or just plain staring off into space trying to avoid eye contact, I like looking at who I'm momentarily stuck with, trying to gauge what kind of life they lead, if they like their jobs, if they're claustrophobic, if we get stuck inside the elevator for hours, who would flip out first, that sort of thing. I find that I am fascinated by such speculations.

Everyone is mindful of personal space (very rare in Manila), trying not to annoy the others by taking up as little room as possible, avoiding making any gross bodily noises (particularly phlegmy throat clearing) and being sufficiently embarrassed in instances when it cannot be helped. Most importantly, there seems to be a strict rule, an alighting/boarding etiquette that seasoned elevator passengers adhere to. The Elevator Code of Honor if you will. Only shameless people disrespect this code.

Hairboy and I usually come across each other during our afternoon break. Today was no different. We took the down elevator together and chatted for a bit while waiting to alight on the ground floor. As soon as the doors opened, three smartly dressed girls were right outside. Briefly, I asked myself why I never ever look like they did. Then I rebuked myself, well if only you brushed your hair once in a while then maybe you can look a little bit more presentable, and no, running your fingers through your hair a couple of times doesn't count.

Now, this is the crucial moment when elevator etiquette applies. But the girls had no such respect for the ECH. They marched straight in, not waiting for us to exit the lift before they occupied it, not even stepping aside as they moved forward, making it difficult for the 5 or 6 of us still inside to get out. They knew they were being inconsiderate, but I guess they deemed it too late to backtrack without losing their composure. This kind of blatantly inconsiderate behavior annoys me. To be fair, they weren't pushing to get in but they were overpopulating the doorway and being very obnoxious about it. So as we were trying to get out and they were trying to get in, I said to them loudly, "Let us out first". No response. I should have added 'you hoes' at the end. Hardened souls, the lot of them. We finally stepped away into freedom. A man, who was with us in the lift, said, "They just walked right in, didn't they?" We were immediately bonded in our righteous indignation.

So one may be dressed impressively in a flashy corporate suit but any elevator passenger knows that it only takes a few character-stripping seconds in the elevator lobby...

5 comments:

jax said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jax said...

yeah, on the first day of the fso oral exam, one of my batchmates was running late and in a hurry, and apparently was in a big old rush to get in a lift. she pushed the door back open and kind of jostled in, concerned about making it on time. hours later, she was sitting in the exam room being interrogated by diplomatic heavyweights. to her chagrin, one of the examiners told her something like, "i noticed your behavior in the elevator earlier, and it wasn't very becoming." (she's a good girl though, and passed nonetheless)

Anonymous said...

Mhmmm.

Tess said...

LOL, you wondering why you never look like the smartly dressed girls sounds exactly like me wondering how the girls at work all look so nice =P

Rina said...

Exit first, entry later. Quite a lot of Filipinos are not mindful of this unspoken rule and not just in the vicinity of the elevators.

I, for one, am weary of elevators. The culmination of claustrophobia and intense mingling of bodily smells freak the hell out of me. Haaaate!