Monday, June 12, 2006

Lampoon evening

So I tried to stick to my plan. I really did. But everything was against me. Mainly myself really.

I got to the mall without a problem. But it was all downhill from there. I met up with an old friend who had rung me at random, I hadn't seen her or spoken to her in several months. She tagged along on what was supposed to be my amazingly organized errand run. Hah! I was sorely mistaken.

The first item on my list has been on my list for the past two weeks. I need a school bag for my german class materials: books, dictionary, exercises etc. I found the bag I want but have failed to get it several times. Reason number 1: the shop didn't have it in the color I wanted. Reason number 2: the sales staff was not only uncooperative but was also unfriendly, downright rude if you ask me. Reason number 3...and the most frustrating of all: I had the wrong credit card. Let us probe deeper into my stupidity, shall we?

So I tried to card the bag purchase last week (in the bad service shop). The cashier told me, "Mom (Tagalog accent: for the slow ones who don't get it, she means ma'am), it says do not honor." I said huh? That's not possible, I pay everything and I'm always on time. The lady just blinked at me. So I said okay fine I'll use my debit card then. She said okay but there's no discount and then proceeded to blink at me. I said okay but then changed my mind at the last minute because they were so damn annoying. So I left and put it off another time. I regret that now. That was last Friday and I decided to get the bag today. Well you see, I have a healthy relationship with my credit card people so I rang my bank company this morning and spoke to a very pleasant man who assured me that indeed I was a good client and that my card was working perfectly fine and that if there were any more problems, I should ask to speak to them on the phone. I was delighted.

So after work, I went to three shops who should have had it but DIDN'T. Another one had it but in a garish color. I nearly bought it too. I was in a desperate frame of mind, so cut me some slack. So I said FINE that's not working out, it's been two hours and I haven't accomplished anything, I'll do my toiletries shopping first. It took ages to find the damn shop and when I have specific not-so-fun things to do, I get impatient and no-nonsense about it. I have a list of things to buy goddammit. Thinking my credit card situation all ironed out, I decided to card my purchases. Little brave me. The lady said, mom it's been denied and gave me a pitying look. I ignored it thinking it was going to be a quick call and said okay please pass me the phone and let me speak to them.

Thirty minutes and six calls later, a very agitated me asked the lady cashier to try my card again. I had been ignored on the phone, passed around and redirected to the trunkline several times. I rang the bank again but this time on my mobile. I suppose the man on the other end heard the beginnings of wild hysteria in my voice because he actually paid attention. After a series of clicks he said: Mam, the card you're using was blocked last year because you reported it stolen.

I blinked. The second time slowly and in comprehension.

Last year I thought my wallet had gotten stolen. My credit card was in it. I reported it stolen and I was issued another one to replace that. Then weeks later, I found my wallet in my yard sale of a bed and put it somewhere. In my haste last week, I must have picked up the stolen card and have been trying to use that to charge my purchases.

I got home and looked for my valid card. It was on my bed. In plain sight.

Sigh. I guess I'll get the bag later this week then.

----
To make this read more exciting, ask yourself this question: Did you play with legos while you were growing up?

Legos playing: http://drew.corrupt.net/lp/index.html

Definitely NSFW but fucking hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »