Thursday, September 28, 2006

Super Typhoon!

It was sunny all week! Why storm now?! Curse you, Milenyo/Xangsane! Ack, trusty PAGASA is down!

Ooh
Japan Meteorology Agency has nice colored pictures with rings. Pretty. Useful weather info on the Typhoon2000 site.





Thegan (my sister + brother-in-law) and I are supposed to fly out tomorrow night. Aaargh the suspense!

But oh, we can come to work in jeans. Yay.

Oh and if Milenyo continues on its path, then Manila should be back to normal by tomorrow afternoon. Phew. But IF.

Whoa something large and heavy just thudded on our neighbor's roof! I'm supposed to come to work in this weather?! What is this?!

Oh I can't stand this emotional rollercoaster!

UPDATE I (a few minutes later, maybe 930H)
I ventured out in my jammies to check how the roads in the immediate area are. It was drizzling oh-so-slightly. The neighbor's dogs were eerily silent. Hehe they're probably scared shitless, snivelling furballs. Serves them right, they terrorize everybody else on any other day. That's right, I don't like dogs. Can't stand them, they ate my pet rabbit when I was 6.

But then during breakfast, more objects fell on our's and our neighbors' rooves. It's gotten really windy now and it's raining a lot harder. I watched some news and discovered that several provinces are flooded and many of the main roads deemed impassable!

Power cut!

Hmm maybe it is too dangerous to go to work today after all.

---

UPDATE II (1216H)
This is the second time I've come to work soaking wet. This is the first time I've ever gone out in weather this bad. Felled trees along the way, flying corrugated iron sheets, lamp posts broken and weighing down on telelphone lines, it's not even funny.I actually feared for my life. I can't remember the number of trees I saw scattered in the middle of the road (I have a picture! Will upload that when I have the chance). On C5, on Kalayaan Avenue, everywhere we drove past. One car had the misfortune of having a tree smash into its windshield. Mum actually rang me from Melbourne to ask about the weather and if there's a chance our flight tomorrow will be cancelled. I may have to crash at Thegan's tonight, they live only a few blocks away.

Now they're moving us to a different section of the office, because there's a dangerously swaying large iron sheet on the rooftop of the building next to us.

UPDATE III (a few more minutes later)
We just had a meeting. We are now free to go home. It's prolly safer for me to hang out here for a while. Typhoon is expected to really hit later this afternoon. But it's coming down now and it's coming down hard.

UPDATE IV (1240H)
My colleagues and I have been looking at the situation outside. We just saw iron sheets fly off like paper from a pile on the rooftop of another building and nearly hit a car down below. A large piece of tree was moving up on Paseo. Power cuts everywhere and people texting us that billboards on EDSA have been ripped off by heavy winds. This storm means business. Traffic down below has begun to pile up because of debris.

Hehe no one's working.

UPDATE V (1256H)
Our building is swaying. I'm scared. We have to shut down our computers now.

UPDATE VI (1346H)
Back in the office. We were instructed to descend to the lobby and hang about. Hairboy and I occupied our time by chatting to other stranded employees, having a cigarette in a suffocating room because the vent fans weren't working and looking for provisions. Our shared spoils include peanuts, a cloud 9 bar and soda. The skies look relatively clearer now. The eye of the storm must be nearing Makati. Phew. That was an adventure. Now the challenge is getting home through the floods. Some brave souls have decided to head on home. I think I'll hang around for a bit until I find a phone charger.

LAST UPDATE (1410H)
Winds are picking up again in the south, it'll prolly get crazy again in the next hour or so but forecast says Milenyo's still moving northwest and it's expected to be in Zambales by tomorrow evening.

Btw Jax, your precious Sam Milby's billboard just killed someone:
Falling billboard kills driver

Okay I really have to work now.

----

A VERY LATE PHOTO UPDATE 9 Oct 2006, 2257h

I was trying to get to work but this huge tree was in the way and some bystanders were dissuading me from moving on because the winds might whip the tree backwards and smack me.




Along Paseo, on my way home from work. This was around 5 PM.







The entrance to our subdivision.






Other places in Metro Manila:








7 comments:

Paula said...

I'm actually AT work. I swear to go god, if I stay here the whoel day, I'm going to see a tree fly by my window.

On the plus side, it only took me 15 minutes to get to work today.

I hope the typhoon clears up for your flight!!!

chrismiss said...

OMG I KNOW. I'm at work.

Charles D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

"Felled trees along the way..."

you mean 'fallen', right? sorry im being silly. btw, i enjoyed your typhoon updates!

chrismiss said...

Nono I'm being silly :) But I actually mean felled. Because the word fallen connotes that the tree fell on its own. Whereas in this case, the trees were felled by the force of the storm.

jax said...

MY precious sam billboard!!??!?! i've been railing against those advertising monstrosities for AGES!!! no regulation as to how many you can have per area of land, how safely located they are, how sturdily built they are, and important things like that!!!! they've waited until people've been KILLED by them to even START THINKING ABOUT regulating them!!! i have photos of those giant accidents waiting to happen folded over as if they were made of paper; i'll post them as soon as we get POWER back

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah exactly! I have photos too!! I can post from here but don't have so much time.

Melbourne is freezing!