Saturday, September 09, 2006

Fool in the rain

Wet adventure earlier this evening! I had a big ass ham sandwich in the afternoon so when it came time for my dinner break, I still felt full. So instead I decided to go over to the park two blocks away and catch up on some reading. It was a pleasant walk from the office, the sky was clear, the air cool. There were a few noisy kids around, which I don't mind for two minutes tops, so finding the place where I would be least disturbed became a very serious task indeed. Realizing that all the best spots were already taken, I made a mental pout before resigning myself in one of the unoccupied benches. I had finished reading a couple of pages when I felt something damp pelt me on my shoulder. For one horrible second, I thought some bird was being cheeky. I was relieved to find that it was only a big fat raindrop. I can handle a little bit of rain. But then bigger and fatter drops followed. I got up to look for another place and found a bench with a tree providing a bit of shade.

It wasn't enough.

No sooner had I sat myself down on the bench than the deluge began. I sought shelter a few steps away and found myself with other unfortunate people, mostly joggers but there was this one odd fellow who reeked of alcohol and the entire time we were there, he looked like he was going to throw up. I felt so bad for him. It rained and lightninged and thundered so hard, it seemed like the sky was ripping itself apart.

It went on for an eternity. Well, when you're cramped in a tiny space with strangers who don't feel like making conversation, every second you spend wishing the rain would stop is a second too long. By this time, the little dry area that we were forced to share was being threatened. I had been due back at the office for 20 minutes already. I took a deep breath and heaved a great sigh at the same time and braved the storm. I was drenched in seconds.

You have to appreciate my lovely black and white art shot (hihi):

What did I tell you? Sheets. It was coming down in sheets.

Embarrassing to enter my building. The lobby was overflowing with stranded people, loads of them corporately dressed men and women waiting patiently for their cars. I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of the glass door. I cringed. My hair was plastered to my face, dark wet marks on my coat, I had my jeans rolled up to show my dripping shoes. They squished with each step I took. Basically if you take a shower and get dressed without towelling yourself dry and then go back because you forgot to rinse out the conditioner in your hair, you would look exactly like I did just then. I could feel the airconditioning numbing my limbs.

I was on my break for nearly two hours. Teehee. So much for the romantic bench reading idea.

Headed straight to the restroom to sort myself out. 15 minutes with the hand dryer did very little to help. I had to explain to about
a hundred people why I looked the way I looked before I finally made it to my desk. The supervisor came over to say that I would have to put in extra time because I took so long to get back. I wanted to stab him in the neck with my pencil but I had lost all feeling in my fingers. He's in the right after all, the unfeeling bastard. For the next two hours, I sat at my desk with my toes frozen stiff and my teeth chattering.

I'm home now, all showered and in clean and, more importantly, dry clothes. Warm and toasty in bed. All is forgotten and I'm excited to dream.

No comments: