Thursday, August 31, 2006

Books: The Panda and its Parody

BLG lent me another book before he left for Istanbul for a conference. It's this one on the left. I'm halfway through it and I don't want to read it anymore. I've been halfway through it for 2 days now, I'm trying my best to finish it but I just can't do it. I guess my best wasn't good enough huhuhu. When I'm not enjoying a book, I usually try to get to the end of it, just so I can say, "There I'm done and I think it's crap, I know because I suffered this monstrosity to its last word". And sometimes good endings make it all worthwhile. I'll never know if I don't keep reading. But I simply just can't do it with this one. It's horrific. When I have this book open, I keep checking how much further I have left to read and I just, well there's just no bloody end to it. I see myself reading nothing else for weeks, and the thought fills me with dread and anguish. It's a parody (see it written on the bottom bit of the cover) of this book on the right. This is the one I really wanted to read especially because BLG explained why its title is what it is, but he couldn't find it. He thinks he lent it to someone who never returned it. Yay I feel so much better now that I've decided to give up on it. I didn't realize I was being oppressed by this shite book.

6 comments:

Paula said...

Hahaha, reminds me of the time I tried to read "Portrait of a Lady". I read the same chapter three times and was bored that I gave up and just rented the film.

If I lend you Rushdie's "Haroun and the Sea of Stories", will you read it? Now THAT's an amazing book. Oh, and Ed finally returned my Paul Theroux Africa travelogue, which is good, too.

chrismiss said...

Hehe lend me both!

I remember we had Rushdie-Kundera conversation before. You raved about Rushdie, I raved about Kundera.

I was a little bored with Shame and Midnight's Children is still untouched on my shelf, but I'll give Haroun a try :)

jax said...

was "the ground beneath her feet" by rushdie? or am i just high from being tired?

i had one of those books too, where i struggled through the first 3 chapters and felt like i was being squeezed in a vise. i can't even remember what it was called; something about violins and Atlantis. i felt liberated when i gave up on it; it was like being unshackled!

chrismiss said...

Dunno, I'm not a big Rushdie fan, although 2 people have been trying to convert me so far. 3 if you count Paula hehe.

Paula said...

yes, "the ground beneath her feet" is by rushdie. not a very good, i hear. i never read it.

"haroun" is my favorite. it's more of a children's book. i don't know what that says about me :p

chris, i'll lend you both books. will leave them at the institute for your saturday class next week.

chrismiss said...

It is clear: You are a child, Paula. Hehe. Cheers for the books!