Thursday, August 17, 2006

Got the sehr gut

Haha! I'm lovely. I DID get the sehr gut (explained in the last bit of this entry). Hah I had nothing to worry about after all.

This morning, I set off from home earlier than usual so I could go over to the german institute before work and enroll myself in the next class. Well not much earlier, I had about 20 minutes to spare since it took me awhile to get up, I was really sleepy from a late night and had to snooze my alarm 3 times before reluctantly getting out of bed. I'm known to be a big zombie in the mornings and I've gotten used to giving myself enough time to wake up properly. Otherwise my brain will refuse to be functional for the rest of the day.

Anyway, like I said, I had 20 minutes to enroll and then walk and get to work on time. Everyone seemed to be moving extra slowly, as they usually do when you're in a rush, as if deliberately trying my patience. My semi-stalker (SS) was there checking out the film collection with his back to the entrance, the counter I was meant to go to was next to him. So there I was standing in line, trying to remain unnoticed but the guard was being really solicitous and had me sign in and asked me what my name was and what I needed. Not wanting to announce my presence to SS, I mumbled in response. Mr Guard asked me to repeat myself. I did. He then asked me to speak up. Ugh. Finally SS turned round and said hello how are you and we small-talked. He's nice, but I was in a hurry. There was another student ahead of me in the queue who was going about his enrollment in a dilatory manner, and I was on the verge of bellowing MOVE IT, BITCH but then he finally pocketed his receipt and shuffled off. How lucky he was mwaha.


So it was my turn. I was trying to speed through the process but the girls behind the counter were having fun and a lot of girly tittering was going on. I appreciated that as much as I could, half-giggling and looking at my phone clock at the same time. The nice lady finally got my student card out and chattered away in German. I tried to follow as much as I could, replying in English when I did understand her.

"Hi I'm here to enroll in German 5 but I was wondering if I passed the final exam?"

"Sie haben (this bit was too fast)."

"Sorry huh? What did I get?"

"Hey you should be speaking in German, you're in level 5 now."

"I know I know."

"You got a 1. Sehr gut."

"A 1? Are you sure?" (incredulous)

"Ja. Sie sind Chris --, Deutsch 4?"

"Yes yes that's me. I got a sehr gut?"


"Yes you did. Now speak german."

And with my imperfect tongue, I butchered the damn language.

2 comments:

jax said...

Well done, little one! Ich habe hunger.

chrismiss said...

Hehe thanks. And hey! Nouns are always in capital letters! I'm not a sehr gut student for nuthin'. Hihi