Thursday, August 24, 2006

Waywards

The britbrats are coming back to Manila tomorrow. It's been three weeks since they took the ferry to Palawan. I think. Well something like that. Anyway, they're coming back from Bohol now. I suppose they're ferrying back since they were already very poor when they set off in the first place. While they were away, I texted them every couple of days just to check on them, so I knew that they were still alive and hadn't drowned or had anything untoward happen to them, like get eaten or rammed in the head by bamboo floaters of fishing boats. I'm pretty much their caretaker here and while I don't want to be overprotective, I feel somewhat responsible for their well-being while they're here. For some reason, Char knows when I'm particularly apprehensive about certain decisions they make and subtly takes the piss every so often. To be fair, we're kind of fun-mean to each other, I think that's why we get along so well. It's a bit wrong, but we both enjoy ourselves too much when I pretend to be her maid when we're going around malls and other crowded places. Hehe it's fun, especially when she pretends to scold me and I walked behind her apologizing in broken English. You should see the scandalized looks people give us! Evil white girl mistreating her brown slave. PRICELESS!

So anyway, she texted me early this morning. Messages in Tagalog.

Babalik ako sa manila bukas! May sa bohol ako. Tatawag ako. Sige.
(I'm returning to Manila tomorrow! There is in Bohol me. I will ring. Okay.)
Not bad, actually, I replied to her first message saying I was suitably impressed. But she doesn't mention Oli so I inquired about him. My heart skipped a beat when I read this second one, but I've since recovered and think I find it funny now.
O, namatay ho yata siya malapit dito, pagsisisid :( huwag ko malaman. Huwag kang balisa naiintindihan ko ho. hah.
(Yea, he died near here, diving :( don't me to know. Don't be ??? I understand. Hah.)
I really hope I see Oli alive and in one piece tomorrow.

Oh and does anyone know what balisa means? Is it 'troubled'?

3 comments:

Paula said...

"Troubled" or "anxious" seems about right, at least that's what a google search turned up. My Filipino's worse than yours.

If they want to watch the film on Tuesday, let me know so I can buy tickets in advance for them. We usually finish at 10.

chrismiss said...

Oh yay cheers. I usually go by context so I never really know precise meanings of Tagalog words. But they're so gooooood, I'm going to remedy my lack of goodness in it.

Well anyway, I heard from them again earlier and they are indeed back in town, I may meet up with them later if they're not too tired. I'll tell them then.

jax said...

yeah char's tagalog's better than mine!