Monday, October 23, 2006

Saturday and the first of its series job rant

Last Saturday after German class, I met up with some friends and we went to Salcedo market for lunch. Whilst looking for food and a table, I slammed my face into a metal post. I spent several minutes with my icy drink pressed against my cheek where a red mark was beginning to develop. My friends said it looked like I was trying to drink through the top of my head. Hmph. It only hurts a little when I press down on it now. I think my ego was lot more bruised.

That night we had dinner and went dancing at Government. Loads of fun, (it was Madonna night and they played Like a Prayer!) but my friends and I had to stand outside the club for over an hour because my guy messed up the list we were on and we had to wait till he sorted things out. It was horrible. It was worse than trying to get into Embassy and it's never my idea go there.

----

Our company is currently having a sportsfest. Our team already won the men's basketball tournament. Last Saturday was the first round for the volleyball games. We won it but since the rules say that there should be 3 men and 3 women, we lost that round. Everyone's kind of wondering why I didn't show up on account of period cramps. Granted I went out that same night after the worst was over but it's not like a million pesos is at stake here or anything and I wasn't the only girl who could have played. And while we're on the subject, the GC that I was supposed to get for that design I made that placed third, well, I still haven't gotten it. So I quickly lost motivation to participate in any of the games. I'm also a little annoyed at the fact that I'm getting asked to do translation for Italian, German, Spanish and even Thai, which doesn't use the Latin alphabet so I can't even begin to make sense of that. Sure I can probably work on the Spanish and German translations, there are loads of available resources online and I am a resourceful girl. But that's not the point. First of all, there are translators for all these other languages. Most people decide to come to me just because the respective translator has taken the day off or their desk is too far away. I'm sure they're thinking oh she's a translator, maybe she can do this for me. At first I used to feel bad about it like oh I'm not helping out, I'm not a good employee etc, but it's happened enough times and even as I'm saying no sorry I can't help you, I don't know that language, they ignore me and say well have a look at it anyway and tell me what you make of it. And then when I repeat myself, they look shocked and at times, and this really gets my goat, hurt. It's really begun to irritate me to the point where I can't help myself and point out to them (and not very gently) that my job description covers only French translations. Hopefully that'll learn most of them because I don't like being rude, even when it seems to be the only way to get my point across.

3 comments:

Manila Girl said...

lika na, move to melbourne... =)

chrismiss said...

Hehe. Tell me that at every opportunity, eh? :P

jax said...

IIIIIIIIIIII wanna move to anywhere but here! OZ will do! take me val take MEEEEE!!! there's an APEC research centre there, maybe i can shelf books! that's a skill!!!