Monday, October 09, 2006

Books read recently

Got loads of reading done while in Oz:

Utterly Monkey by Nick Laird

I liked the writing and the story was nicely told but I couldn't warm up to the characters properly. Set in the UK and Northern Ireland (I think, can't really remember now).

4.2 chrismiss stars


Animal Farm by George Orwell

I don't know why I haven't read this before. I give it 5 red-hot and sparkling chrismiss stars. It's thought-provoking but adorable first.

5 chrismiss stars yay!


The Sandman Volume 5: A Game of You by Neil Gaiman

Gaiman is amazing, as usual, although I still maintain Smoke and Mirrors as my favorite but then I haven't read all of his works. But I do love the pretty pictures.


5 chrismiss stars



Lady Snowblood Volume 3 by Kazuo Koike

Hot japanese female assassin, born for the purpose of avenging her mother's death by killing her (mother's) sworn enemies. I've been dying to read her story for as long as I can remember. They're always in Japanese when I come across copies in restos and beach resorts here. I don't know why it never occurred to me to check the local bookstores. It just made me want to learn Japanese.

Did I mention that I like pretty pictures accompanying amazing stories? A whopping
5 chrismiss stars.

The Autograph Man by Zadie Smith

Big disappointment since I loved White Teeth and On Beauty. Couldn't stand the protagonist, Alex-Li Tandem. Just like I couldn't stand JD Salinger's Holden Caulfield. Smith still writes well and to be fair, I speed-read the thing because I was running out of time, so I give it:


2.7 chrismiss stars

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice pictures with a story. isn't that comics. he he

chrismiss said...

Hehe. Not necessarily. Pshah!